Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Conversation with Matthew


We spent yesterday at the pool, enjoying our last day of freedom before school starts tomorrow. Matthew and I were resting on a chair and having a snack. I was distracted, watching the girls in the water, when Matthew turned my face toward him and began this dialog:

Matthew: Mommy, listen to me.

Me: Yes, Matthew.

Matthew: Mommy, I have a very important job.

Me: You do? What is it?

Matthew: I make people happy.

Me: Yes you do, Matthew! And that is a very, very important job.

Matthew: That's all.

It's incredible to think that just a few months ago, we were struggling to understand anything Matthew said. And now, out of the blue, such insight! Such wisdom! I wish I could say this was his "full-time" job -- it's temp work, at best. But it's almost enough to help me forget the time-outs and trips to the naughty step. For a few minutes. (The picture above is, obviously, not from yesterday. He and Brad were feeding the Lories at the Lisbon Zoological Park a few weeks ago. At that moment, Matthew was definitely making us -- and the birds --happy.)




2 comments:

dtravelbug said...

Oh no, lookout -- he's definitely got Brad's confidence ;-)

lol, you have a naughty step? That's inventive.

Ali said...

That is the greatest!